My stash reduction project is coming along nicely. It has been timeconsuming and sometimes hard on my feet and back. The high cutting table that my dear husband made me last Christmas has made it less painful, though. I don’t think I could have done this on a standard table.
A few months ago, I had two boxes of 2″ strips and one box of 1 1/2″ strips. I know have more than that, but that’s okay. I really do use those strips. Recently, I used strips cut from fabrics that I purchased in Germany when my son was a baby. He is 23 years old now.
This is an example of my starting tote, except that it’s too empty to be representative. Virtually all of the totes were absolutely crammed full of fabric and I had to work hard to get the lids to stay on. This was the second tote full of clear blues (the green/teal blues are in a separate tote.)
As I mentioned in Part 1 of this series, I cut the smaller or narrow pieces of fabric into 2″ or 1 1/2″ strips. This is from the pink box, obviously – a real priority, since I couldn’t get that one shut even if I sat on it!
This is one of the totes for 2″ strips:
And this is what most of the totes looked like after I had purged them of the scrappy, stringy pieces:
After I cut strips from the blues, I was able to fit the bigger pieces into one tote, which was good, since I needed another tote for strips.
That was the calico.
I have a good friend who sews flannel nightgowns and baby items. She sends me her scraps, and I have been shoving them into miscellaneous “flannel” boxes in the attic. A few weeks ago, I decided that I need new napkins for my diningroom table, so I sent one of my big, strong male people up to the attice to bring down all of the boxes labeled “flannel.” There were four of the 18 gallon Rubbermaid totes crammed full of flannel scraps.
I spent the next few days cutting them into usable squares and strips. I cut squares according to the size of the flannel, starting with 9 1/2″ (still thinking of napkins), all the way down to 4″ squares. Pieces too narrow for squares were cut into 3″, 2 1/2″ and 2″ strips. There were two main groups of squares: sweet baby/child prints and then some that were darker, plaids, wildlife prints, etc. I did not separate the strips – just tossed them into three smaller totes according to width.
With my squares already cut, I was filled with energetic enthusiasm for using them up. In the space of a few days, I made eight baby quilt tops, and I still have piles sitting on my cutting table:
This burst of productivity coincided with a good sale at JoAnn Fabrics, so I picked up some more flannel to use for backing as well as a king sized quilt batting, which can be cut into pieces for the baby quilts. I haven’t actually got to that part yet, but I will. Really.
And I never got around to the napkins.